Friday, May 21, 2010

Independence Day (Not the 4th of July)

When I think of Independence Day I always think of fire works, the American Flag, the Declaration of Independence, hot dogs, white and red checkered tablecloths. It wasn't until today, May 20, 2010, that I witnessed an entirely new type of Independence Day. I picked up Everlee from school eager to take her home and get a little mommy and me time. She was playing outside on the playground and as we entered her classroom she went straight to the sink. Everlee turned on the water, washed her hands, turned the water off, grabbed a paper towel, and then proceeded to throw the towel in the trash. All without being prompted or reminded by her mother. I was in awe that she was able to do this all on her own. Crushed that she no longer needed me to help wash her hands unless to lift her to a sink out of reach. I don't know how long she has been doing this little routine but this is the first day I stopped and watched with my own two eyes. It is just a little reminder to always remember to slow down, step back, and allow our children a little independence. You never know what type of fire works you'll see that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment